Garbage disposal’s can be a beneficial asset to your kitchen, especially for those of you that love to cook. A garbage disposal will break down food into small pieces to prevent food from clogging your pipes and stinking up your trash can. Unfortunately, the garbage disposal itself can still stink. It’s best to keep your garbage disposal as clean as possible and take measures to prevent a smell from occurring.
What Makes a Garbage Disposal Stink?
Possible odors can include:
- Decomposing food and grease. Even though the purpose of a garbage disposal is to get rid of food waste, rotting particles in the pipes can produce a bad odor.
- Mold and bacteria. Kitchen sinks and drains are often a warm and moist environment creating a place for mold and bacteria to thrive. The underside of your rubber strainer can be a breeding ground for nasty bacteria and other microbes that may be the source of your stinky sink.
- Sewer gases. All sinks, if done properly, have a trap in them that holds water and prevents sewer gases from rising up. Blockages in the drain vent, a leaky vent, or a dried up trap can cause your trap to not work properly and gases can seep into your drains.
Preventing a Smelly Garbage Disposal
Now that you know where odors can come from, there are a few tips to follow that will help you prevent stinky sinks.
- Run cold water when using the garbage disposal to prevent overheating.
- Send ice cubes down the disposal to remove gunk from the blades, then toss in a couple of lemon peels to give a nice citrus scent.
- Run the disposal for a few seconds after the grinding noise stops to ensure all food particles have gone down the drain.
- While garbage disposal’s are convenient, they are not a one-stop shop for all of your food waste. Be careful of things like coffee grounds, corn husks, egg shells, celery stalks and potato peels as these foods can wrap themselves around the blades and accumulate in the pipes, creating breeding ground for bacteria.
If you notice your garbage disposal is smelly and you are having trouble getting rid of the odor, the problem could be inside your drains. Contact the professional plumber’s at Miller’s Services to take care of drains and get your garbage disposal running (and smelling) like new. Call 804-758-4314 to schedule!